If you’re planning a vacation this summer, there’s another task to add to your to-do list. Before leaving on a summer vacation, prep your air conditioner. A few easy steps could save hundreds or even thousands of dollars in unexpected repair bills.
Air Conditioning Prep
Before leaving on vacation, a little bit of air conditioner maintenance will go a long way in protecting the system. Help ensure a healthy air conditioner include:
- Cleaning or replacing the air filter before going on vacation.
- Clearing away debris from around the outdoor condenser unit. Mow the grass, cut back overgrown tree branches or shrubs.
- Arrange for a professional service visit. A qualified service technician will perform a thorough tune-up of the system to detect any potential problems. Give us a call to schedule your tune-up.
Preparing for Storms
While you’re away from home, it’s possible that severe weather could affect your home and air conditioner. When severe weather arrives, so does the possibility of a power outage or lightning strike that could cause damage to the air conditioning system. Preparing for this possibility could prevent the need for system replacement due to catastrophic damage.
- If severe weather is likely during your absence from home, consider unplugging the air conditioning system.
- Remove any items from the yard that could become airborne during high winds. These items could hit the outdoor unit and damage it.
- Ask a trusted neighbor to check on the system after a severe weather event occurs.
Setting the Thermostat
In preparing for your travels, adjust the thermostat settings to account for the empty house. Raising the temperature up to 85 degrees or higher will reduce utility costs for the period of time that you’re away. The air conditioner will still turn on occasionally so that the home does not become unbearably hot. Keeping the thermostat at a higher temperature also helps protect your home from burglary, as it will still appear as if your family is at home as the air conditioner cycles.
Getting your home’s air conditioner ready for your summertime vacation not only reduces utility costs while you’re away, but it also helps to ensure that there will be no unpleasant surprises when you return from your trip.
Milestone can handle all things HVAC related. That means all brands and all types of problems. We promise to come prepared and equipped to perform the work the same day! Visit us at Milestone Electric and give us a call today!